The Burlington Police department would like to remind its citizens of the importance of keeping our children safe. Schools in the area are starting back in session and that means children/teens will be walking, biking, and driving to and from school.
The Burlington Police department would like to remind its citizens of the importance of keeping our children safe. Schools in the area are starting back in session and that means many children/teens will be walking, biking, and driving to and from school.
We offer the following tips for keeping our children safe:
For Children who walk or bike to school:
· When crossing a street, make sure to look both ways and do not cross until there is no car coming. Never assume a car will stop for you.
· Do your best to use intersections with crosswalks.
· As you walk near a road, do not let your electronic device distract you- pay attention to where you are walking.
· If there is a side walk- USE IT. If there is no side walk, walk facing traffic and stay as far off the road as you can.
· If you bike- always wear a helmet.
· If you bike- you must obey the rules of the road- stop at stop signs and stop lights.
· If you bike and you must cross a street, walk your bike across at an intersection.
· Wear bright and /or reflective clothing.
· Obey your crossing guards.
For Parents of Children who walk or bike to school
· Walk with your child to school for the first few days. You should ensure the way is safe. Take time to teach your child how to avoid or navigate any problem areas.
· Consider meeting with other parents and teaming your child up with other children and have them walk together.
For Teen Drivers
· Do not speed-ever. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO SCHOOL ZONE SPEED LIMITS
· Avoid distractions like playing your music loud or using an electronic device.
· Remember that Cell phone use while driving is illegal for people under 18.
· If you are a provisional license holder, you cannot have more than one passenger in your car at a time.
For All Drivers
· Do not pass a stopped school bus with the stop arm displayed and lit. For more information on the law visit https://www.ncdot.gov/bikeped/download/Back_School_NC.pdf